Sunday, August 1, 2010

A lesson harder than stone..

So to get psyched on climbing again, it only makes sense to climb the tallest object that I can think of. 
In this case: 500 foot radio tower. 

I packed my harness, two slings, and two locking biners into my pack and drove out to parker, the next town over from me. I waited until it got dark enough so I could duck into the shadows and climb this thing in stealth mode. 




After hopping one barbed wire fence, I got to the second and final obstacle. This sign was posted on the outside of it. I figured that they said it was dangerous just to scare people off. I hopped the 10ft. fence, heel hooking to mantle on top of it, of coarse, and I was in. 

Once I got next to the base of the tower, I heard a buzzing sound. I decided to lightly touch the metal supporting beam to make sure it wasn't electrified.  ZZAPP!!!!!! 
Sparks flew, and I could instantly smell my burnt hair and skin on my hand. I got the hell out of there as quick as I could. I had set an alarm off in the process of zapping the shit out of my hand. 


The backs of my fingers immediately began to blister, along with feeling like they were on fire. This picture was taken a few days after it happened. 

Yeah, yeah, I know... one of the stupidest thing's I have done so far. Hey.... at least I'm not trying to get high in new ways with drugs, only by climbing things. 

4 comments:

  1. Let's hope whoever would have responded to that alarm doesn't read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha great work cheyne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the picture it looks like the tower is the antenna and when you touched the tower you grounded the anntenna. Which cause a ground fault alarm to go off... The burns on your hand is a RF burn. Its kinda cook your hand like a microwave would. Be gald your felt the eletric shock because a lowere wattage tower you probably won't of felt anything.

    ReplyDelete